Saturday, December 16, 2006

Follow-up and Home

On Monday (11/27), Dr Reinisch meet us at his Beverly Hills Office for Belle's first official dressing change and to remove her drains (yeah). Interestingly, no one in his office seemed to be expecting him that morning, but he told us he'd be there and he was.

Belle actually started crying a little before Dr Reinisch even touched her but calmed down pretty quickly. Dr R had me sit in the big exam chair, and hold Belle on my lap. Unfortunately, one of her drains had apparently not been working so when he pulled it out there was a lot of blood -- so much so that both Belle and I needed a change of clothes. Unfortunately that meant that after my husband retrieved our suitcase I had to excuse myself to another room to change & clean my clothes (everything but my socks) so I missed a lot of the observing & instruction on how to do the next cup/dressing changes that we'll be doing ourselves (like I wasn't already nervous enough about doing it ourselves -- LOL). (I also did learn from Dr R that the hydrogen peroxide removes blood really well.)

Except for the drain problem, Dr Reinisch seemed happy with the result so far. He said that we can just send him pictures via email and probably won't need to see him again until were ready for phase 2. Belle is seeming much more herself already, although I think she's getting a little too used to getting everything her way – It's hard to say "no" to someone in bandages, isn't it. She walks slightly bent over, although she says the stitches don't bother her, but otherwise she seems great. She keeps pulling back the netting over her good ear to see her new earring...which she loves! LOL

We were all so excited to get home again and see Josh. It had been almost a week since he'd flown home with Grandma, and we all really missed him. It was so wonderful to be home!

No comments: