Monday, December 18, 2006

Sat. 12/2 -- Dressing change

We were very nervous to have to change Isabelle's netting and cup ourselves, but it really wasn't as bad as I anticipated. It was easy to just cut the netting off. The cup is partially glued on with very sticky tape, so it's a little more challenging to get off. However, as Dr R recommended I purchased Pure Acetone (not just acetone in nail polish remover) at a Sally's beauty store, and it did really work to remove the sticky stuff. Belle hated the smell and held her nose the whole time, but it didn't seem to hurt her at all. I've also heard recommended using Baby Oil but Dr R cautioned us against that because he said it's then hard to get the next cup to stay on.

We then gave Belle a bath. I was too nervous to really touch her ear, but let the shampoo and water run over it. Belle's hair had hadn't been shampooed since before surgery, and it really needed it. We had to shampoo it multiple times to get all of the dried blood out of all that hair -- yuck! Belle then got her hair and ear blow dried & before we put a new cup and netting back on. We also covered her ear with Neosporin.

We took pictures through the process so that we could email to her surgeon (Dr Reinisch at Children's Hospital in LA). He then called us that evening and said everything looked okay, although I could have rubbed her ear while bathing her (this apparently was part of the instruction I missed when I was changing my clothes at our follow-up appointment) and I should switch to Bacitraycin because some people develop allergies to Neosporin.

Below are some pictures. I caution you that it has only been 10 days since the surgery so her ear is still swollen and covered in stitches and scabs so be forewarned that some of the pictures below are graphic...




Yucky -- hair in need of shampoo









Pre-bath pictures















Post-bath photos (w/ natural light)



No comments: