Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Sat 12/9 -- The Bandages come off & stay off!

Now you see my ear..... Now you don't!

They did shave off a lot of hair, but luckily she has even more so the lost hair isn't very noticeable most of the time. She was a little nervous about getting her bandaging off, but very excited too. We were both worried about her sleeping on her ear (since the surgeon said she shouldn't for at least 3 weeks and we're only at 2.5) so I slept in her room. I didn't get much sleep Sat night because at least half a dozen times during the night I heard her stirring and got up (I was below her on a trundle) to find her trying to roll onto it (even though I had propped stuffed animals behind her on that side). I'd roll her back and wait...

Luckily the next night it occurred to me that if I pulled all her hair into a big pony-tail just a little farther back on her head on that side it might be in her way enough to keep her from rolling that direction and it seemed to work. I still slept in her room and checked on her frequently every night but I never again found her trying to roll onto her new ear. The pony tail in the way seemed to be just the reminder she needed to not go that way, unless I was just too tired to notice anymore.

Here are some more pictures of her getting her bandages off, and her new ear. Unfortunately, the top of the cup apparently should have been cut back a little farther because it was really digging into her head.

Caution at 2.5 weeks post-op the ear is still swollen and stitched but's it is looking better already...




Before
and
After
Bath
photos
(I think you can
figure out
which
is
which)

No comments: